Transportation Disadvantaged Services
- Who are the Transportation Disadvantaged?
- Transportation Disadvantaged means "those persons who because of physical or mental disability, income, status, or age are unable to transport themselves or to purchase transportation and are, therefore, dependent upon others to obtain access to health care, employment, education, shopping, social activities, or other life-sustaining activities, or children who are handicapped or high risk as defined in Chapter 411.202, F.S."
- What transportation will be provided?
- Curb-to-curb transportation service will be available 7 days per week, 24 hours per day.
- How can I access the transportation service?
- Call (904) 229-6550 on the day before you need a ride to a doctor's appointment, recreation, shopping, post-secondary/adult education, or other life-sustaining activity. Reservations are only taken 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Who provides the transportation service?
- The State of Florida Transportation Disadvantaged Commission makes available 90% of the cost of this service. The Gulf County Board of County Commissioners, Port St. Joe City Commission and Wewahitchka City Commission make available 5% of the cost, and the remainder is provided through cash donation and in-kind match.
- How is the transportation service operated?
- The van service is coordinated by Gulf County Transportation which is a division of Gulf County Association for Retarded Citizens, Inc., a non-profit organization.
- Where is the transportation service available?
- The transportation service is available throughout Gulf County. The service is designed to get transportation disadvantaged individuals to the closest life-sustaining activities available. In most areas of the County, complete life-sustaining functions will be available in your neighborhood or community.
Kidney Dialysis Center
Transportation services are provided on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Transportation can be arranged on other days. Arrangements for transportation are made through the kidney dialysis center.
Day Treatment Center
Transportation services are provided Monday through Thursday. Arrangements for transportation are made by the Gulf County Guidance Clinic.
Senior Citizen's Program
Transportation services are provided Monday through Friday to various sites in Gulf County. Arrangements for transportation are made through the Senior Citizen program in Port St. Joe.Transportation Disadvantaged
Please call (904) 229-6550 between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday-Friday on the day before you need transportation. Cancellations must be made by 4:30 p.m. the day before service is requested.
Passengers please observe the following:
- Wait for the van at a safe location
- Do not approach the moving van
- Ask your driver for help to board the van, if needed. It is a part of the driver's duty to help.
- Please wear your seatbelt. We provide safety belts on all seats of all vans.
- Do not leave your seat until the van is fully stopped.
- Remember - No smoking, eating or drinking on the vans.
- Minor children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children must be secured in an approved child restraint seat.